Wednesday, July 6, 2005

A Piece on John Cena

Little known fact about me (mostly because I don't look the part): I love watching WWE. And I've been bummed out this past month because I have not really been able to watch either RAW or Smackdown. And I have been missing my (future) boyfriend John Cena. Yeah, yeah, I've been following the action on WWE's online site, but action as seen on TV has a particular charm that action captured on paper can never acquire. Especially if you're talking about WWE action.

Having mentioned John Cena let usImage hosted by Photobucket.com

all talk about him. As all entertainment wrestling fans know, John Cena bagged the WWE championship from John Bradshaw Leyfield (JBL) in the biggest WWE pay-per-view show Wrestlemania. Cena even proved that he's a worthy champion when he forced JBL to utter the words "I quit" in Smackdown's Judgment Day. He is doing so well in his career. And WWE fans everywhere are rejoicing in his success. Me included, of course. That's why when I knew that John Cena was being drafted to WWE's carrier program RAW, I became sad. It's not that RAW is an awful program; no, that's not it - actually, I love RAW. It's just that...

John Cena is one of the most popular wrestlers in WWE. And also one of the ablest. And his ability, in my opinion, is the main reason why he's doing so well in his chosen career. But as we all know, talent is not enough to uphold a "showbiz" career. Showbusiness (and let's admit it, WWE is showbiz) is a really rocky 'profession'. Today people love you, yet tomorrow they may hate you. It's okay if they hate you in a nice way (re: they just love the way you become so mean); but if they hate you in the sense that they don't EVER wanna see you again, then you're dead. In John Cena's case, he is popular today; but what about tomorrow? Being in Smackdown actually worked to John Cena's advantage. His stint on the show made him a big fish in a small pond. And we all know that it's really easy to shine in a small industry (small at least in comparison to the admittedly more popular RAW). And here's where my fears begin...what if the talented John Cena gets lost in RAW's sea of bigger (and possibly more popular) fishes? Sayang.

But tonight, as I was watching Cena's debut appearance in RAW, my fears were eased. In my concern for the Doctor of Thuganomics' budding career, I forgot one important aspect of Cena's character that contributed greatly to his popularity. John Cena is not just WWE Champion; he is a people's champion. All of the WWE belts Cena has acquired, he's offered to his fans. And this urged fans to form a group called the Chain Gang. And everywhere he went - yes, thankfully even in RAW - fans just chants his name. You can just feel the love.


And, thus, I think...there's no need for me to worry at all about Cena...he will do great (as always).

No comments:

Post a Comment